Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Q&A -- a Proud Blogging Tradition!

1st Q: What is VonGrinner going to do after his upcoming graduation?

He is seriously considering going into a witchcraft vocational school. Or massage therapy.

2nd Q: Why does he keep talking to people (his momma, poppa, Tressa) about education?

Because they all work in education. Sometimes things get all awkward, and you just want to fill the space. They know what I'm talking about.

3rd Q: Why does VonGrinner have a Philadelphia cityscape behind his name on his blog?

He put that up when he was a vegetarian, and thinking lustfully about cheese steaks.

4th Q: I get the feeling you are not showing due respect for my questions.

That's not a question! WTF?!?

5th Q: Now I'm on number five, and I'm not going back to questions until you take this seriously.

All right, all right! Sheesh! Questions four and five constitute an outrageous departure from Q&A protocol, and I shall never speak of them again. Questions two and three, and possibly one, can be answered with a simple three-word answer.

6th Q: Which is?

That's better! Teach for America.

7th Q: How long have you been at this? Are you accepted?

I am. I've been in the application process for like three months.

8th Q: City, grade level, subject?

Philadelphia (my first choice!), tentatively "secondary general science."

9th Q: Are you really qualified to teach science?

Do you really think it's wise to ask me that [shows fists]?

10th Q: You smell like mayonnaise.

You're on thin ice, young man.

11th Q: I mean...you smell like mayonnaise?

hmm....better...

12th Q: Isn't your major English?

Yes, but English is not in as high demand. Also, I applied for bilingual teaching, and I passed their Spanish exam. From that time on, I suspected they would go to one of my minors (Chemistry or, improbably, International Development), because you can not teach English in Spanish. In contrast to English teachers, both science and bilingual teachers are in high demand.

13th Q: This is the unlucky question. Does this mean you are going to be teaching in Spanish?

You are an incurable dork, and I am embarrassed for your mother. I would not know about Spanish until I have my "placement," i.e., my particular school assignment.

14th Q: Does this mean you would finally be done with (your own) school?!

No. As I am not certified, I would be concurrently enrolled at the University of Pennsylvania, and after my two-year commitment, receive a master's degree in education.

15th Q: Isn't that the Ivy League school no one has ever heard of?

Yep! Motto: "expensive obscurity." But it was founded by Ben Franklin, rather than some no-name monks in medieval England, like some schools I could mention.

16th Q: Are you going to do it?

Undecided. Leaning yes, especially if witchcraft doesn't work out for me (awaiting my OWL results).

17th Q: Where can I get more of this Q&A goodness??

I find this is an informative place to start.

9 comments:

gramakaren said...

Whoa!! You are SOOOO full of surprises! But I love it!! The article is awesome. And the work that it talks about is even more awesome! There's something just right about looking to help those in THIS country. Obviously there are many whose needs rival those of any that are beyond our borders.
Cudos to vongrinner! Keep us in the loop!

Gancito del Lago said...

I love teach for america! By which I mean, I love the concept of teach for america, since I've never done it myself. But just so everyone knows, it is quite competitive, so kudos for crazy kryn. We'll call them Krazy Kryn Kudos. This should look very good on your political resume (I know what your scheming). And Penn is a great school, everyone's heard of Wharton! I don't know if you'll take any classes from Wharton, but irregardless. And at least it's one of the oldest schools in the U.S. Established in 1740, according to wikipedia. Or in other words, when Oxford was only about 700 years old. And don't knock my monks.

When do you start? I've been thinking about visiting Philly with all my free time.

P.S. Does that mean I should stop pulling strings for you to work at the federal bar association? Or are you going to get a law degree, too?

octopusofthesea said...

U Penn (or, as it's called by the gentile students: Jew Penn), is a fantastic school! I know several alumni and they are among the loosest women in town. So. I actually don't know any guys who went there. I do love philly though! When you go visit, let me know. I'll come along. If you do it in the next couple weeks, that is.

VonGrinner said...

Well, brothers! Assuming I decide to do it this weekend, I had thought to go apartment hunting next week, but I'm not sure if that will be advisable. Here's the thing: my summer training is from the end of June until the end of July, and they pay for my housing then. So I need an apartment from the first of August.

What I don't know about is whether to get an apartment in Philly starting in May (and just eat the cost of July), or bum it with family in DC for those months (is that even an option any more, Poppa? We should talk...), or [shudder] stay in Provo until then. It is hard to find apartments here for just half of the summer, though.

No matter where, I need to start making money to pay off my debts. Gregan, you are probably joking, but if I could get a paid internship with a law firm in DC, that'd be great. Or an unpaid one that lets me work part time at the same time. And doesn't suck terribly bad.

Gancito del Lago said...

I actually do know a girl who works at the federal bar association. It doesn't pay that well, and I'm assured that the work is in fact terrible, but it's legal work, and you don't need a law degree. I don't think you want to try to compete with the millions of DC lawyers to actually work in a firm. Lawyer is the MOST common job in DC (this is not hyperbole, I read it in a newspaper).

That's a total lie, btw, that it's hard to find an apartment for half the summer. Terms are half the summer, and all kinds of apartment complexes go by terms/semesters. But I understand the need to justify leaving. You can live with dad, but you'll have to pay 420 dollars of rent (that's why I live in a car). You can call him if you want the details.

gramakaren said...

OR you can stay with your mom until mid-June (it won't cost you no stinking $420 a month) and be here for your sister's wedding...:)

Kindy said...

You had BETTER be here for my wedding. Not that your future is all about me...wait,actually on June 12th, it is. Be wise.

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to remember but it seems that if you are accepted to Teach for America that they forgive student loans but since probably don't have any, maybe Tressa will give you some of hers. Of course you can stay with me, but as Gregan says it's $420 a month but you'll get your own room and all the water you can drink. And we'll take field trips on weekends to Philly, which place I have never been yet. This Sunday it's supposed to be 87 degrees... congratulations on your graduation, by the way!

dad

Damian said...

That is a pridy big kilr whaie for the top of the oshin

hayden